平泉の文化遺産を世界遺産へ
Top PageBrief Summary of World HeritageHistory and Brief Summary of HiraizumiIntroduction of Cultural Assets in HiraizumiAccessTourism Information
Introduction of Cultural Assets in Hiraizumi
 
Chuson-ji Temple
Chuson-ji Temple Chuson-ji Keidai [Special Historic Site](Hiraizumi Town)

 According to temple records, Ennin (Jikaku Daishi, third head abbot of the Tendai sect), founded Chuson-ji in the year 850. Two and a half centuries later, Fujiwara no Kiyohira relocated to Hiraizumi from Esashi (in present-day Oshu City) and set about building a temple complex here. Kiyohira first sponsored an esoteric “treasure pagoda” known as Taho-ji. Next, he built a two-storied hall called Daichoju-in. Finally, in 1124, the Konjikido (golden hall) was completed. The interior of the golden hall is an artistic tour de force combining and preserving the cream of twelfth century Japanese artistic technique.

MAP Chuson-ji Temple

 Iwate Lifelong Learning and Culture Division
 10-1 Uchimaru, Morioka, Iwate 020-8570 Tel/019-629-6177 Fax/019-629-6179